KIGALI – Wednesday, May 20, 2020/www.gbafrica.net/ – Robots are now part of Rwanda’s fight against COVID-19 and will help minimize risk of infections among health care workers, as the Health Ministry , on Tuesday, May 19, announced in a series of tweet that, five anti-epidemic robots – named Akazuba, Ikirezi, Mwiza, Ngabo, and Urumuri – that would be mainly used to administer temperature checks, monitor patient status, and keep medical records of COVID-19 patients.
Health Minister Ngamije Daniel said, the robots will fasten service delivery and help protect the lives of valuable health workers who at the risk of contracting the virus since they visit patients’ room many times to deliver medication, meals, carry out tests, among other things. He added that, these high-tech robots have the capacity to screen 50 to 150 people per minute, deliver food and medication to patient rooms, capture data and notify officers on duty about detected abnormalities.
Rwanda, a major innovation and technology hub in Africa, has recorded 308 coronavirus cases so far, with zero deaths and 209 recoveries, according to official figures. To date, more than 52,300 tests have been carried out in the country of over 12 million.
The Health Minister told BBC Africa, that the country is working on getting more robots that can perform other tasks such as disinfecting public spaces. The robots, as result of joint efforts by the Rwandan Ministry of ICT and Innovation and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), are manufactured by a Belgium-based company and also have the capability to alert health workers of abnormalities and warn people who aren’t wearing marks, or are wearing them improperly, reports BBC Africa.
Rwanda is the country considered to be at the forefront of technological advancement on the continent, and this has apparently extended to the public health realm during the pandemic. “The infectious nature of COVID-19 calls for technological innovations to tackle the pandemic. This is why Rwanda has introduced robots and drones among other high-tech initiatives to enhance efficiency in the fight,” ICT and Innovation Minister Paula Ingabire is quoted as saying.
Microsoft ‘To Replace Journalists With Robots’.
Microsoft is to replace dozens of contract journalists on its MSN website and use automated systems to select news stories, US and UK media report.
The curating of stories from news organisations and selection of headlines and pictures for the MSN site is currently done by journalists.
Artificial intelligence will perform these news production tasks, sources told the Seattle Times.
Microsoft said it was part of an evaluation of its business.
The US tech giant said in a statement: “Like all companies, we evaluate our business on a regular basis. This can result in increased investment in some places and, from time to time, redeployment in others. These decisions are not the result of the current pandemic.”
Microsoft, like some other tech companies, pays news organisations to use their content on its website.
But it employs journalists to decide which stories to display and how they are presented.
Around 50 contract news producers will lose their jobs at the end of June, the Seattle Times reports, but a team of full-time journalists will remain.
Google funds automated news project
“It’s demoralising to think machines can replace us but there you go,” one of those facing redundancy told the paper.
Some sacked journalists warned that artificial intelligence may not be fully familiar with strict editorial guidelines, and could end up letting through inappropriate stories.
Twenty-seven of those losing their jobs are employed by the UK’s PA Media, the Guardian reports.
One journalist quoted in the paper said: “I spend all my time reading about how automation and AI is going to take all our jobs – now it’s taken mine.”
Microsoft is one of many tech companies experimenting with forms of so-called robot journalism to cut costs. Google is also investing in projects to understand how it might work.
Google Delays Android 11 Launch
Google has delayed the launch of the latest version of its Android operating system, which had been due to take place on Wednesday, 3 June.
The release of Android 11 for testers has also been delayed.
In a statement on the Android Developer website, it said: “Now is not the time to celebrate,” and more details would be shared “soon”.
It comes as dozens of cities in the US deal with large-scale civil unrest over the killing of a man in police custody.
Google did not, however, specify whether this was the reason for the delay.
The company revealed some details about Android 11 in a preview blog aimed at developers.
“For developers, Android 11 has a tonne of new capabilities for your apps, like enhancements for foldables and 5G, call-screening APIs [application program interfaces], new media and camera capabilities, machine learning, and more,” it wrote.
Sony, meanwhile, is still scheduled to unveil the launch games for the new PlayStation 5, at a streamed event on Thursday, 4 June.
Piers Harding-Rolls, from Ampere Analysis, said it would be an important first showcase for the games that would be available with the device, which has not yet been released.
“If the PS5 event goes ahead without a delay, and clearly the ongoing protests in the US means that a delay is possible, I’m expecting a strong showing from Sony,” he said.
“The company is pressing ahead with a global launch and while there will have been some disruption to games production due to Cov!d-19, with months to go before release it is easier to rectify the development schedules to catch up.”
Video Streaming Could Shatter The Cable TV Industry For Good
Stay at-home measures have given people endless time to consume and enjoy media from all platforms, but there is one clear winner: online streaming. Quarantine accelerated trends we were seeing before lockdown– that consumers were cutting the cord from cable and moving to online streaming. In the first quarter of 2020, Netflix gained 15.7 million subscribers, and Disney+ gained 54.5 subscribers in five months. Experts don’t know if television subscriber numbers will recover from these losses.
– Forbes Africa
Huawei Unleashes “P40 Pro” Model With Nasty C And SA Biggest Celebs
JOBURG – Friday, May 29, 2020/www.gbafrica.net/ – Huawei welcomed its new HUAWEI P40 series ambassadors to the Huawei family. These include rapper Nasty C, TV personality Thando Thabethe, actor and entrepreneur Nay Maps, former Miss South Africa Tamryn Green as well as fashion designer David Tlale. They joined forces with Huawei, handing out over R500 000 worth of prizes to viewers, including P40 devices and shopping vouchers.
Huawei on Friday unleashed its HUAWEI P40 series to South Africa through a live streaming event hosted by TV host and actress Minnie Dlamini.
The HUAWEI P40 Series is a comprehensive upgrade from the previous generation and is equipped with Huawei’s most sophisticated camera system to date, capable of producing breath-taking imagery with a lightweight chassis.
One of the impressive features is the Ultra Vision Leica Quad Camera. The camera works as a highly unified system, making users shoot captivating pictures at any time of day or night, whether the subject is up close or at a distance.
It also has 45% better colour precision and is capable of accurate analysis and segmentation of environments and people. With pixel level enhancement, it restores the original look with great lighting, natural colour and sharp details
“These devices are testament to the fact that Huawei is unafraid to break the rules and to exceed expectations, and it does all of that in style,” said Huawei in a statement on Friday.
The Huawei P40 Pro is priced at R20 999 and the HUAWEI P40 retails at just R16 999. They are available from 1 June from all mobile operators and www.huaweistore.co.za
How East African Musicians Are Generating Revenue Today
Award-winning Ghanaian Tv Series, X.O.X.O., Renewed For Its Final Season – [SEE DETAILS]
Munyaradzi Chanetsa Appointed As A&R Manager At Sony/ATV Music Publishing
W.H.O Offered $20million Bribe To Poison COVID-19 Cure Made by Madagascar – President Andry Rajoelina Claims
If It Weren’t Madagascar, But An European Country That Had Discovered The Remedy COVID-Organics, Would There Be So Many Doubts? – Madagascar President Asks
Ahmaud Arbery: Father and son Charged With Murder of US Black Jogger
Feature5 days ago
MEET ALHAJI UMAR FAROUK: The Most Promising Politician In Ghana
Music Videos5 days ago
Stonebwoy Releases The Latest Video From His Anloga Junction Album
Coming Soon20 hours ago
Award-winning Ghanaian Tv Series, X.O.X.O., Renewed For Its Final Season – [SEE DETAILS]
Entrepreneur4 days ago
[IN-INTERVIEW] GrungeCake CEO Speaks About Putting African Music On The World’s Stage